Sermon Notes – Cornerstone Fellowship Bible Church – August 29, 2010
Pastor Milton Vincent
The Gospel in a nutshell is the Good News of Salvation for hell-deserving sinners through the person and work of Jesus Christ.
In the Gospel, we are forgiven, justified, made a child of God, become recipients of the Holy Spirit, are privileged to pray, loved by Jesus daily, filled with exceeding power, have fellowship with the saints, and have an inheritance in Heaven. The list of what is ours in the Gospel can go on and on. The Gospel is BIG.
…like newborn babies, long for the pure milk of the word, so that by it you may grow in respect to salvation, if you have tasted the kindness of the Lord. And coming to Him as to a living stone which has been rejected by men, but is choice and precious in the sight of God, you also, as living stones, are being built up as a spiritual house for a holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices acceptable to God through Jesus Christ. I Peter 2:2-5
THE EFFECTS OF GOSPEL FEASTING
1. Progressive growth into Salvation
– If you feast on the Gospel, you will grow.
– Increase in every way, size, stature, strength, ability, agility, wisdom (spiritual)
– In this way, you will become a force to be reckoned with to the enemy, strong, not weak. Peter says, resist the devil and he will flee from you.
– You get strong by Gospel feasting.
2. Continuous transformation
– As you continually (present tense) come to Him as a living stone, daily and progressively, you are being edified (built up), a fitted stone for a certain purpose
– The word edify literally means to build a house. From nothing to something, from something natural and raw to something fitted, prepared, useful. Edify includes the idea of transformation. For example in Genesis 2:22, the Lord edified Adam’s rib into a woman.
3. Likeness to Christ
– “you also as living stones”… like Jesus, fitted, prepared and shaped for God’s purpose
– So that others can partake of the living waters that flow from us, nourishing others in Christ
4. Radical community with like-minded lovers of Christ
– Being built into a spiritual house
– A community characterized by:
the Spirit moving and glorifying Jesus
service (a holy priesthood, serving and representing God before people)
worship (not just singing songs) but in actions, acts of service
May God help us to feast freely on what we have in the Gospel!