Sermon notes – Pastor Milton Vincent – Cornerstone Fellowship Bible Church, June 27, 2010
For more information or to download sermons, please visit Cornerstone Fellowship Bible Church website at www.cornerstonebible.org.
A note from Terrie: These are my notes taken during our church service on Sunday mornings. I will do my best to represent each sermon faithfully and post by Wednesday evening. Please keep in mind that these notes are just that, notes, and are a condensed version of the sermon. My prayer is that not only will these posts help me to think about God’s Word and how to apply it to my life, but that each post will encourage others to do the same.
Instruct those who are rich in this present world not to be conceited or to fix their hope on the uncertainty of riches, but on God, who richly supplies us with all things to enjoy. Instruct them to do good, to be rich in good works, to be generous and ready to share… I Timothy 6:17-18
We are rich. Did you know that anyone who makes $45,500 dollars per year is in the top one percentile income in the world? So yes, we are rich. Any legitimate gain is a blessing from God and is meant to give us pleasure. Not everyone who is rich is necessarily happy (see Ecc. 2:7-11, 17-20). We must follow God’s instructions in order to experience pleasure in what He gives us.
SEVEN INSTRUCTIONS TO ENTER INTO THE PLEASURE THAT GOD WANTS YOU TO EXPERIENCE IN THE MATERIAL POSSESSIONS HE HAS GIVEN TO YOU
1. Don’t let your riches make you proud.
– God is against the proud.
2. Don’t let your riches assume the place of God.
– He who loves money will not be satisfied with money, nor he who loves abundance with its income. This too is vanity (Ecc. 5:10).
– If we let our riches assume the place of God, we will never be satisfied.
– We take from God when we worship what He has given us instead of the One who gives us all things.
– Anything that we allow to assume the place of God will let us down.
– Do not place the burden of deity on anyone or anything else besides God. This is idolatry.
– Idolatry destroys people.
3. Enjoy your riches together with God.
– See I Tim 4:3-5
– Be thankful to God.
– Include God in your enjoyment of the blessings He so graciously gives to you.
– God wants us to enjoy His blessings in the context of His love – as a personal gift from Him.
4. Do good works with your riches.
– “Work good” with your riches.
– Accomplish good, do good with God-given provision.
– We are created for good works (Eph. 2:10).
– Meet the practical needs of others.
– We imitate God by working good.
– Accomplish those things with eternal value, especially by imparting the Gospel through word and deed!
5. Become rich in good works.
– Not just a token good work now and then.
– ABOUND in good works (2 Cor. 8:7)!
– Be rich, plentiful in good works.
– Become a living embodiment of Jesus Christ.
– Your good works will follow you into eternity. You can take them with you (Rev. 14:13)!
– Becoming rich in good works gives us pleasure.
6. Be generous in giving goodly (sizeable) portions of good things to others.
– Not just the things we don’t need anymore (although there is nothing wrong with that), but be ready to give beyond that.
– Recipients of our giving:
a. Fellow Christians who are suffering. (2 Cor. 8-9; I Tim. 5:3)
b. Anyone outside the church that you have the power to help. (Gal. 6:10)
c. Those who labor as elders, working hard at preaching and teaching. (I Tim. 5:17-18)
d. Those who serve the church by going out on behalf of the church to spread the Gospel of Christ. (Phil. 4:10-19; I Cor. 9:14)
– Keep in mind that it is more blessed to give than receive (Acts 20:35).
– Give sizable portions from the best that you have.
– You cannot out-give God. God glorifies Himself when He out-gives us. He loves to bless us.
7. Allow others share in what you have.
– Not just outwardly, but invite others in to experience what God has given you.
Feel the heart of God in this. He lavishes bounty on us for our pleasure. Yet, he instructs us how to give from the abundance of what He has given to us, and even that (giving to others) brings us even more pleasure and blessing!
HOW GREAT IS OUR GOD?!